Friday, April 6, 2007

Letters from Sydney: Episode 2

Hi all,
Thanks so much for the amazing response to the first letter!
You guys have me all pepped up...
Anyways as promised here's letter number 2.
Its a bit heavy and philosophical.
Bear With Me.
Enjoy!

For those of you who came late, please read part 1 before going on to part 2. It would help. :-)

And yes... keep kommenting!

It was my first Sunday in Sydney. I felt a slight bit of jet lag as I slept almost throughout the day, waking up only once to go shopping with David. We had gone to Woolworths, one of the chain of supermarkets in Australia. Woolworths is to Australia what Spencers is to India. A chain of huge, huge stores spread all over the land down under it is second only to Coles, another successful mall chain here.

Very frankly, Australia is not a visually spectacular nation. It’s very beautiful and clean and hygienic, but it is nothing that India is not. If Spencers had had green colored cloth bags to pack the bought goods in, it would have been exactly like Woolworths is. The cost of things varies, definitely, soft-drinks, meat and dairy products being way cheaper than they are in India, that’s a result of the sound financial state of this country more than anything else.

I had my first taste of the infamous Sydney sun whilst David and I walked back to 66-A, three very heavy green bags in our four hands. The mercury was at a mere 30 degrees, but our skins were burning, literally. We both cursed David for not remembering to apply sunscreen before stepping out. The ten minute walk seemed like ages, both of us praying that we reach home, soon.

As I lay in my bed an hour later, I was looking up at the ceiling fan as it slowly rotated above me, reminding me of my room in the Pune home, something that I attribute half of my life’s achievements, whatever bit of them I have had, to. What I am today, what I am doing today, what I would do tomorrow and what I will be tomorrow would always be credited to that room, where I wrote everything like it was the last thing I could ever write. People thought that I was schizophrenic, leading a dual life, one inside that room and the other outside it. I think they were right; I am in Sydney today, because I was in that room few months back for a few seemingly, very, very inconsequential but highly effective in actuality years. I am in The International Film School of Sydney today because I was in Pune for the last 4 years. Otherwise, I pretty much can assure you that I would have been working at someplace like Infosys, typing nonetheless; Software Codes for people I know exist but I know I would never meet.

All I know now is that I was destined to type my life away. What I type now makes me one of the people who believe that destiny is what we do to life.
What I could’ve ended up typing would’ve given me a chance to be one of the many people who believe that destiny is what life does to us.

I woke up with a start, my eyes opened to a crimson red stream of light coming in through the slightly open curtains of my room. I unfurled the curtains and what was in front of me is easily the best sights I have ever seen. The sun was setting, through a couple of clouds, right at the end of the road right in front of my window. Though the sun was hidden behind the clouds, a bit of it managed to raise itself out from a li’l gap between the clouds, making everything in the immediate vicinity glow, like the ring from Peter Jackson’s famous movie. In one word, it was magnificent.
With my mouth wide open in awe of nature’s unbelievable spectacle, I scampered about the room trying to look for my camera, fiddling with my bags, falling over shoes which I never keep in the right place, struggling with almost every non-living entity in my small room. I finally found my camera in the most obvious place, which I had obviously failed to check, rushed to the window and switched the camera on, looked intently at the LCD only to realize that it was out of battery. Cursing myself for not being able to capture the moment, I turned back and looked at my watch which was showing 6:00 P.M. Mentally calculating the time in India, messing it up a couple of times I finally deduced that it would be 12:30 there.
“She would be in the bus” I thought. “Waiting at the bus stop, rather” I corrected the thought I had first thought of.

Getting into my white shirt and pair of blue jeans, haphazardly setting my hair (!!!) I ran down the staircase to see Natalie brushing Sac.

“That’s quite a smile… you seem to be very happy. Had your girlfriend called?” she asked me, brushing flies off Sac’s back, much to his discomfort.

“I don’t have a girlfriend, Natalie”, I told her, and still trying to figure out the reason why I was smiling, then trying to figure out why I was unable to understand that I was actually, smiling.

I then walked past a couple of shops along the road that links Dalmeny Avenue to Rosebery Avenue, enjoying the cool wind that swept across wildly, taking alongwith it, helpless leaves fallen off trees, by both the sides of the jet black-colored, clean and spotless road, a Chinese couple walking hand-in-hand on the other side of it, an old lady mowing the lawn in her tiny, but beautiful duplex, another man riding his silver-black bicycle, humming Justin Timberlake’s ‘What goes round, comes around’ and smiling every time he went out of tune.

This is one of the things which make Australia addictive. People love to live. Their lives are not always plagued with worries about small things, they aren’t always screaming, shouting at each other, everyone likes everyone unless someone gives you a reason to dislike them. Everything is warm. People go out of their way to make you comfortable, they smile, they sing, they laugh, they giggle, they dance. There are so many people, coming from different countries, different cultures and different religions. Everyone tries to blend in the melting pot of combined ethnicities, smiling at others, trying to say goodbye to a Spanish friend by saying adios, saying hi to me by saying a broken, but effectively sweet Namaste.

As I reached Rosebery Avenue after a brief 2 minutes walk from my place, it was almost dark, with very little sunlight left. After crossing number 23, my heartbeat started to rise, with 24, I could feel a slight thump in my chest, at 25 I closed my eyes, at 26 I stopped and took a deep breath, making sure I wasn’t looking ahead, my head purposefully down and then I took the 10 most scared steps in my life, a overabundance of thoughts taking over my brain in the next 60 seconds.
“What if it’s really small?”
“What if it isn’t good?”
“Why the f*** did I not see it before coming?”
“I should’ve seen it before leaving India”
“Oh shit, Oh shit, Oh shit”
“It’s too much of money at stake, it better be good”

At the 10th step I opened my eyes. Took another breath. Sighed, slightly and turned my neck to its left, at 27, Rosebery Avenue. The place that’s called ‘The International Film School of Sydney’ I couldn’t see much but the color and the rough shape of the building. It seemed purple, a few Japanese wooden boxes spaced around the patio of the not –so-huge building. A few obscure looking wooden bars, almost 9 ft. tall were erected all along the 20 feet cemented walkway to the entrance of the school. A huge, bended and old tree formed the natural archway to the building. I walked towards it, some bits of the insides of the school visible through the small glass entrance door. It was brightly lit, like a studio. A poster of Robert Rodriguez’ Sin City gracing the front wall of the lobby, whatever bit of it was visible from the outside.

I stood there, almost magnetized. I knew that I had taken the right decision. It wasn’t fancy, It wasn’t palatial. It just seemed so right. It just seemed so cinematic.

The thing about Cinema which makes it so appealing to me is that it’s not like people. When you love a film, the film loves you too. When you love people, they don’t always say they love you too. The best thing about life is not when you love someone with all your heart and they love you too. It’s when you just tell each other that you do. That’s the best thing. That’s life.

“What do we achieve by telling people that we love them?” you would ask.
Maybe nothing, but if you don’t tell them, you are bound to lose out on something.

I had fallen in love with The International Film School of Sydney at the first sight, in slight sunlight and a bit of moonlight. What I didn’t know then was, just in a matter of few days, It was going to love me too.

TO BE CONTINUED

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Well, Well! Looks like I struck GOLD 22 years back, giving the rest of the world a chance to post their comments today. Very lucid, wonderfully touching and very well written. Makes us miss you more though :( Keep it up; you make us proud and more so with every passing day! Love you....

Anonymous said...

Well, Well, Well! Looks like I struck GOLD 22 years back, giving the rest of the world a chance to post their comments today. Very lucid, wonderfully touching and very well written. Your writing is virtually a visual treat. The bit about destiny strikes a chord, very true! Makes us miss you more though :( Keep it up; you make us proud and more so with every passing day! Love you....

Unknown said...

i came especially frm the hospital to check ur next post n there it was... this has made me speechless!!! it is miraculous... beautifully written as alwaz... wld come back again on next saturday!!!
luv alwaz

Sarang Mahajan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarang Mahajan said...

Man, your writing is same, yet it is changed. You are writing with some stuff to tell now and from heart. Not just answering a feeble urge to write something. You sure must have enjoyed doing it. I enjoyed reading it.

That little illustration of happy, unworried people down under is fabulous. It seems just so real. I feel great for you man. Make most of the next two years. And write lots more.

Asawari said...

Hey, the best thing about life is not when you love someone with all your heart and they love you too. It’s also not when you just tell each other that you do. It's when "you love someone with all your heart and they love you too, and then you tell each other that you do" - That’s the best thing. That’s life. You have to feel it to know it - the truth and depth of the actual feeling adds its own magic to the words :)

Anonymous said...

Your life is a movie..and us your audience.. it's a joy being in the front row and sometimes at the exit but never really can step out..can I..haha. You make me see new worlds and possibilities, and I often wish I was around to touch the crimson in it all.

Unknown said...

Read your second letter today.
Aisa lag rahaa hai jaise mai hee Sydney me hoo.
bahut sundar !!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.